Young adult fiction (YA) is a category of fiction written for readers from 12 to 18 years of age. While the genre is targeted at adolescents, approximately half of YA readers are adults. The subject matter and genres of YA correlate with the age and experience of the protagonist.
Is YA considered a children’s book?
YA, or “young adult,” fiction is one of the hottest genres around—both for kids and adults! This category is technically intended for teenagers, but almost everyone can identify with the challenges and topics covered in these books.
At their core, YA books are for and about teenagers and pre-teens, usually between 12 and 18 years old, but sometimes as young as 10.
What is a contemporary YA book?
Contemporary romance YA novels are realistic fiction that take place during (more-or-less) the time frame in which the book is being published that include a love story as a main focus of the plot.
What grade level is a 750 Lexile?
|Grade Level||Lexile Rating & Range||DRA Level|
What books have a Lexile level of 1000?
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. Call Number: PR6039.O32 H6 1966.
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. Call Number: PZ7.B69677 Boy 2007.
- The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Call Number: PZ7.S74 P43 1994.
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
- I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai.
How do you know if a book is YA?
- The protagonists are young, but harsh subjects are on-page.
- The story is told by an older and wiser narrator.
- Your ideal reader’s suggestibility is low.
- Your story isn’t told through a teen lens.
- Your book may have “crossover appeal”
- Your book may be upper YA.
Is an 18 year old a teenager?
The Growing Child: Teenager (13 to 18 Years)
Is 16 years old still a child?
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child defines child as, “A human being below the age of 18 years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier.” This is ratified by 192 of 194 member countries.
Does 19 count as a teenager?
A teenager, or teen, is someone who is between 13 and 19 years old. They are called teenagers because their age number ends with “teen”. The word “teenager” is often associated with adolescence. Most neurologists consider the brain still developing into the persons early, or mid-20s.
YA Romance Book Recommendations 💗
KIND OF READER: How do you pick your next book?
TYPES OF BOOKS IN A BOOK HAUL